Monday, February 25, 2008

None Denial

I've avoided confrontation almost all my life. Sure, I can get mad, scary mad, at times, but it's hardly ever directed at people.
By confrontation, I don't mean just keeping away from negative situations, I mean I shy away from most positive ones as well. Considering the girlfriends I've had, I honestly don't remember having to put forth that much effort. Emily basically approached me after seeing me play soccer my sophomore year in high school. I can't remember particularly how Jess and I ended up together, which strikes me as pretty damn sad. Kelly was a slightly different situation, but I had known her when I was younger, so it seemed different approaching her.
Beyond that I'm zero for something like ten with getting up the nerve to approach girls. The problem with my demeanor is they almost always assume I'm trying to just be friends with them. Honestly, I have enough friends.
Certainly there are many reasons for my lack of success, chiefly due to my lack of effort. I'm very comfortable not having romantic interests; I don't spend excessive amounts of money in any sort of effort to get laid, I don't have to deal with the odd girl mindsets, and I don't have to worry every other second whether I'm impressing or upsetting somebody close to me.
However
I've always seen myself as a romantic individual. I feel like if a girl would give me half-a-chance, they'd like what they'd find. It just doesn't happen that often, and maybe I should really start to change that.
I also believe somewhat lack of interest is an important part of me. I proved that going out with random people I meet in Grand Rapids only puts me in crowds where I have to analyze and attempt to fit in with generic douche bags. (I'm quite good at garnering positive attention when I'm incognito.)
It's circular logic with this issue, and I do stump myself quite a bit. When that happens, I end up back at square one, like I am now, having dropped many of the people I had met out here in GR.
Here's to Spring.

No comments: