Monday, March 31, 2008

First Impression: Battlefield: Bad Company

Yeah, I signed up for the beta...does that make me a tool?
Photobucket
A little back story about Battlefield games and me - The extent I love the Battlefield games cannot be described in what I would only want to be a quick-reading entry. I played the crap out of Battlefield 2: Modern Warfare for the PC back when the White Lake Gaming Center still existed.
I was upset and disappointed by the 360 version of Modern Warfare, which was a more cartoony and harder to play.
So boom, I signed up for the Battlefield: Bad Company exclusive beta. Boom, of course it is...
Blow up everything! This game is so effing frantic. I run out of my spawn, look around at a beautiful desert environment (remind myself this is a beta), and note the light array of vehicles and gun-emplacements around. I already know the controls; I always know the controls. I'll write a back story on why that is at some point... So I'm running in this fully destructible area, and the game starts. Long story short, it's hard to shoot someone, unreasonably hard. I put a few rounds into anybody random, they don't go down. I put a grenade from a grenade launcher into a guy, he doesn't go down. Hell, I can take down parts of buildings with it, but not a person? I guess this draws out the game a bit, people are less easy to destroy than concrete walls, who knew?
Photobucket
I get the hang of the game after a few sessions. I find that when I blow up anything, people directly in the zone of destruction often die, good touch! Now just fix those bullets. I unlock some guns, laser designators, and particularly useful anti-tank mines. I get frustrated with this game pretty easily, which probably means it has balance issues that need to be worked out. Hell, it's a beta, so I keep cutting it slack.
This game plays and looks like a combination between the PC and 360 versions of Modern Warfare, taking elements from both and adding them to the DICE engine (which is the destructible environment engine). The game comes out in June, I'll have more impressions at that point.

No comments: